Thursday, March 23, 2023

SOMEBODY'S BABY

(A poem inspired by a homeless woman I will most likely never see again.)


 

I walked our regular daily walk today

Seeing the routine views along the way 

Trees and streets, and then skies up there 

I observe the sights - I breathe the air 

Then quickly something catches my attention 

Shaking my head, I grasp for comprehension

A troubled one - limping, dirty, disheveled - an alone and lost lady

Once upon a time, that was somebody's baby

 

That was the phrase that flashed across my mind

Too late, to now turn my head away, blind 

Where is she going, where did she come from

Too easy to throw her aside like some runaway bum

No, this one, like all of us, has a history and a life 

She has had very similar battles, struggles and fights

Perhaps cradled, as an infant, in warm arms - maybe?

The truth is, that was indeed somebody's baby 

 

Who does this soul belong to, an angel she must have 

Someone who watches over her, even with the past she’s had

Whatever happened, there was at least a father and a mother 

For how long this lasted, we will probably never discover 

But she is a human – once and therefor forever one of us

Embracing her in some way, a true and faithful community must 

Someday to reside in a sacred place – calm, serene, shady 

For this is somebody's baby … this is somebody's baby 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment