Monday, August 21, 2023

ONLY 10 MINUTES WITH YOU

I started a 31-day writing challenge, writing every day for each day of March 2023. I used the hashtag #justwrite31. Since I only had 10 minutes before the end of the day before writing this prose, maybe I can call it #justwrite10minutes. 



If I only had 10 minutes to spend with you 
What would I say; what would I do?
Would I spit out a ton of rapid thoughts and emotion
Or would I move towards you in effortless slow-motion  
And look deeply in your eyes, rekindling a love  
Would I reveal what our relationship was made of 
Or maybe clear up any misunderstandings or spite 
Those barriers that block the miracle that is life

What would I say or do Mom? 
We pretty much always got along 
I'd want to know more about you, your inner world
The you that was you when you were a little girl

What would I say or do Dad?
Engaging and enlivening were the times we had
I may find out what you know now of 911 and JFK
But most of all, I'd want to know if you are OK

What would I say or do Miss Hennessy dear? 
You were the cherry on top, that is clear
I would simply want to grab a chew toy and play 
And do with you what I miss now every day

For all the times I've said goodbye 
I want to awaken to the connections that will never die 
So now, I endeavor to fill my heart with loved ones in gratitude
As if I only had 10 minutes to spend with you ...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment