Saturday, July 29, 2017

A Poem of Freedom



















And so I sit still in meditation
Searching for that clear concentration
Really, really, realizing that real realization
Not this myopic mayhem of mental masturbation
Nor this constant, constant consternation
For in my enlightened endeavor to be free
These are the thoughts that come to me ...

Chocolate and sex and then sex some more
Ben and Jerry's ... should I go to the store?
Should I cut my lawn; should I do my taxes?
I can receive e-mails; I can't receive faxes
What does that have to do with anything?
When I was young, I would run and jump and play and sing
What should I be doing besides sitting here?
My mind, my brain, my ego, my fear!
Now – STOP – back to my endeavor to be free
... But these are the thoughts that come to me

Chocolate and money and then money some more
I wish everything was free at the mall and the store
What job should I do? Will there be enough?
I have to have money to pay for my stuff
But stuff is stupid – fuck it – I should live in the woods
Free from the "have tos" and "must haves" and "shoulds"
Who needs a big bank account, an overflowing pocket?
Chocolate, chocolate ... chocolate, chocolate, chocolate
Sex and sex and sex. Sex, sex, sex.
I wonder if it would be wrong to ring up my ex
I wish it would STOP – I am sitting here to be free
... But these are the thoughts that come to me

Dear Lord – now I bow. I invoke. I beg. I pray
Can you please be so kind to take these thoughts away?
Amma, Baba, Rama, and all that rhymes with ama
Where are the answers – the Bible? The Gita? The Obama?
No. The answer is right here if I could stop this damn mind
Then the world would be peaceful, gentle and kind
So now the time is here! I shall stop and just listen
To the voice that is pure, to hear what I'm missing ...

"... Please ... do not fight it, do not push against thoughts
Here is where you get trapped, imprisoned ... caught
Remember there was a time before everything
Remember the times when you would run, jump and sing
Be present – that's all – for the thoughts that will be
And then you will be able to enjoy what is free
For who is the one who can be present for all
This is the one who can hear another call
I will be with you right here – with the thoughts that will go
You are the watcher, the presence, the soul"

... And so ... I sit still in meditation
Searching for that clear concentration
But discover that the thoughts – hey yeah – they're OK
Just be with them now, and let them have their say
They aren't hurting anyone if I can give them their space
They will have their own journey, at their own time and pace
I will sit here and be with all that I can
And know that I am that I am that I am

No comments:

Post a Comment