Sunday, July 19, 2015

What Do I Do With This Slacker?

So I got this friend. And I'm not so sure I should keep him around. Maybe you can help.

First off he makes himself available and wants my attention 24 hours a day. Now whereas being available is a very positive trait for a friend, let's see if what he offers is really something that I need.

He is very showy and enjoys having the spotlight on him.

He dresses to impress, which can be a esteem thing or an extreme lack of esteem thing. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Next he is constantly gossiping about the goings-on in the lives of celebrities such as Cher, Madonna, Ellen, and Donald Trump.

He talks politics ad nausea.

He has an opinion about EVERYTHING!

Add to this, he constantly brings up the most negative things. If it's not war, it's disease or disasters or death. A constant barrage of negativity. He just runs off the mouth about the worse-case scenarios.

And the hardest part is I can't tell 100 percent - unless he shows me videotape of what he's talking about - if he is fabricating these stories in order to please his boss or those people he works for.

Is having this person around good for me or my psyche? Is he dragging me down unnecessarily?

Do I need this?

Does anyone need a friend like this?

If not, I guess we are always free to say goodbye ... and simply turn off ... the TV news.



James Anthony Ellis is a writer and producer living in San Diego. For the sports, news and weather, he watches pro football and hockey games on TV, talks with friends on social media, and goes outside to see the temperature. He can be reached at www.LegacyProductions.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment